Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Soundtracks & me

My friend Dylan suggested I look into the music from "Valerie & Her Week of Wonders". I've yet to see this Czech New-Wave, lesbian vampire film, but I can't get enough of its haunting soundtrack lately. It's a rather difficult album to classify, but one might file it somewhere between "Rosemary's Baby" and "The Wickerman".

Another recent addition to the Jason library is the soundtrack to Jacques Tati's "Trafic". In this score, Charles Dumont bounces between three or four themes where there's an interesting push and pull between a lively whistled tune and full out French psychedelic jams.

"Rushmore" certainly tops my all time soundtrack list. The British Invasion cuts and the sleigh bell jangling, swinging baroque sounds from composer Mark Mothersbaugh is a constant inspiration to my songwriting and arranging. That Wes Anderson sure has immaculate taste (click here to see a poster from my Wes Anderson Soundtrack Night)! Others that I constantly revisit are Jon Brion's "I Heart Huckabees", "2001: A Space Odyssey", "A Clockwork Orange" by Wendy Carlos, Curtis Mayfield's "Superfly", "Blow-Up" and "The Squid and the Whale". I feel the greatest film score of all time might just be "The Third Man" by Anton Karas. Did you know that the theme was released as a single and spent eleven weeks at the top of the Billboard Charts in 1950?

Are there soundtracks or scores that you really love? Please share.

-jason

ps- Does "A Hard Day's Night" count?